Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Ends... Into the WIld


The whole trip to The Ends started very good. We planned on making a stop over night in Cracov, after 10 hours drive on a highways (to stay on the highway we had to drive through Germany,otherwise we'd stuck somewhere in Poland for hours). We stayed in a, wait for it... Female student dorm!!! I know, is there a way for a holiday to have a better start then this? (don't try to answer this question, it is one of these you don't answer,so called rhetorical question).

So the very next day, after I lost a perfectly nice t-shirt saying "Save water drink beer" to my brother in rock-paper-scissors, we still had about 155 miles left (ca.250km). And it took us ONLY 6 hours. Well,polish roads have never been of a very good quality, they have never been better before, ever. And we arrived, with no adventures, but a lot yet to come.

The first day of our trip, we decided to take it slow and took a 18 miles (ca.29km) mountain pass taking 5 peaks. Only in 7 hours. I know, we are good. I am, at least.

The second day, after some of us ( as a reminder we went with the whole family - my mom, dad, my brother and me) woke up with a terrible pain in their legs and knees, because they are not jogging... well, no mercy. (how funny - for the first time in my life I could smile at somebodys physical misery without being in pain myself, so why the hell should I be soft on them). We decided to take another route, slower one. And after reaching one of the peaks, we saw something nice... trails of a big animal. We went of route and follwed the tracks for about 2 hours...and then, about 30 feet (9-10 meters) from us we saw the biggest mammal living on the european continent - the bison. It was great. We started to take some pictures, then we had to go... nobody wanted to piss of a 10 feet wide, 7 feet tall, and 2200 pounds wild animal. After we came back home, our family arrived to visit us. ( They live there for years now, and we haven't seen them in a long time, and some of the younger offspring we haven't really met yet.) So the rest of the trip was an alcoholic blackout...
Well, it was worth it. I mean, I can't remeber shit, so it had to be good, right?

Seriously now, I have there my family, cousins, I don't have here. Living there in the wild for a week made me different. Leaving The Ends was like leaving FFM. I will miss it so much. But, I will go there again. Next time, I will pack my tent, get my gear and walk into the wild...for weaks...

No comments:

Post a Comment